After the province declared a public health emergency due to the COVID-19 outbreak we temporarily closed camp in March. Since closing we have monitored the status of this emergency and have complied with the province’s restrictions on businesses and gatherings. The health and safety of our campers, counselors, and guests is always of highest priority to us.
Anticipating we would need to have measures in place to re-open, our staff worked to implement protocols based on existing guidelines for those sectors most similar to our operations. After working with Alberta Health during the month of September, we received notice that we are still not permitted to host overnight camps or retreats. Therefore, based on the current public health measures, Camp Caroline currently remains closed to overnight campers and guests.
Earlier this year, the Board of Directors approved a tentative summer ministry season plan that prioritizes overnight camps. The province’s current path forward plan anticipates that overnight camps will be able to resume once we reach STEP 4.
We are committed to following all provided guidelines and working with Alberta Health as we look to reopen in time for the summer.
For more information on our current plans for running overnight camps safely, please visit our Grade Camp or Lead Camp information pages.
We are so excited to welcome you back this summer!
In releasing this information now we want to help families make decisions about their summer plans.
Registration for camps will launch early in the spring.
We will also start the hiring process for our summer staff team early in the spring.
While we continue getting everything ready for the summer we recognize we may need to adjust our plans and will do so as needed.
For more information, please refer to the following Frequently Asked Questions.
With prayerful consideration, and much excitement, we have decided to start launching overnight Summer Camp programs. We hope releasing this information now will help Families make decisions about their summer earlier. We will be opening up our registration in Spring, and will be releasing more information as we can.
We are still monitoring the situation, as well as government guidelines, and will shift our plans accordingly.
“Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.” Romans 12:12
Please join us in praying for the following as we look toward year-end and the new year:
1) Wisdom, discernment, and direction as we prayerfully consider how God is continuing to direct us through this season and toward the next.
2) Open doors to offer ministry programming in 2021.
3) Camp finances as we continue to cut any costs that can be avoided and to identify other potential sources of income to decrease the expected year-end deficit. We have continued working hard to decrease ongoing costs. Thankfully, we have been able to improve the year-end forecast. Presently, we are forecasting a deficit of less than $175,000 by the end of December.
4) Continue praying for our grant application with the province’s community initiatives program. In July we applied for a $50,000 grant. This is a one-time grant designed to support camps that have closed due to the pandemic. We expect to receive a response to our grant application this month.
5) Continue praying that God will provide for the needs of the camp as we step into 2021. We are so THANKFUL for how God has been meeting the needs of the ministry this year. Thus far God has provided the necessary resources for us to manage our financial obligations and maintain cashflow without borrowing any funds. As we look to 2021 we want to manage our financial obligations, maintain cashflow, avoid borrowing funds for operations, and begin rebuilding reserve funds so we are well positioned to respond to future ministry opportunities.
Interested in making a financial gift? We believe the church should be the primary place each of us give and want to encourage you to give to your church first. If after giving to your church you have the means and desire to help camp financially, we welcome your gift as 2020 draws to a close. Financial gifts received will help us steer the ministry through this season and toward the next. Gifts can be made online at campcaroline.ab.ca/donation. At this time we are asking that gifts be directed to the General Fund to allow us to maintain appropriate cash flow, manage ongoing costs, and direct funds to those areas most in need as we look to the future."May the Lord bless you and keep you; The Lord make his face shine upon you, and be gracious to you; The Lord lift up His countenance upon you, and give you peace.” (Numbers 6:24-26)